Whether you are a university professor, a content marketer, or a student, in this age of AI Boom, you are most likely to deal with artificially generated content from ChatGPT. While it’s extremely challenging to distinguish between human and machine-written text, some ChatGPT detector tools can help you uncover the true origin of the content.
This guide will evaluate the best AI detector tools so that you can pick the one that suits your requirements and budget the most.
Top 10 ChatGPT Detector Tools 2024
Having evaluated more than 23 popular AI content detectors in the market, we’ve curated the leading 10 for you. Here’s a brief overview:
|Content At Scale
|AI Detector Pro
Let’s start with Originality AI – One of the best and most reliable ChatGPT detector tools in 2024. The tool has been designed by AI experts and experienced content writers and can detect up to 99% of AI texts in any document, including from the latest GPT-4 model from OpenAI.
Originality AI proves to be extremely useful for big organizations handling big numbers of content writers, educational institutes, or SEO professionals. It features bulk site analysis where you can scan large amounts of content and detect AI involvement as well as plagiarism. The company recently added a built-in fact checker to ensure the information in your text stays 100 valid. Along with the AI detection, you get a readability score, presenting the overall quality of your content.
- Over 90% accuracy in identifying GPT-4, GPT-3.5, and GPT-3 content from ChatGPT.
- Google Chrome extension allows you to use the ChatGPT detector tool on any page instantly.
- With just 2% false positives, it rarely identifies human-written content as AI.
- Get an AI detection score to identify the percentage of content that might be written using ChatGPT.
- Built-in fact checker provides you with the necessary contexts to verify the information in your text.
- Simple and easy-to-use interface
- Highest accuracy among the current ChatGPT detectors
- Perfect for team collaboration
- A little expensive for individual writers
- Occasionally flags human-content as AI
Content At Scale is an AI writing assistant that also provides a ChatGPT detector tool to determine whether the text is authored by a human or AI. Not only does it give you the level of AI involvement in the content, but also pinpoints the sections which may be a blend of human and AI inputs. Using advanced AI-trained models, it can detect patterns, predict likely word choices, and analyze sentence structures, which ultimately results in more accurate AI detection.
Content At Scale AI Detector is trained on millions of web pages, blog posts, Wikipedia pages, articles, and essays that are present on the internet or generated by the major large language models. The recent update by Content At Scale enables the detector tools to successfully recognize the content generated by ChatGPT’s GPT-4 language model.
- Identifies the AI content from ChatGPT (GPT-4, GPT-3.5, and GPT-3) with over 80% accuracy.
- The AI writing tool can help you reconstruct the AI-written part of the text.
- Highlights the text sections to easily recognize the human-written (green), AI-written (Red), and a mix of human and AI (Orange).
- Built-in AI tools to improve your text – simplify, summarize, change tone, expand/shorten, fix spelling and grammar, and plagiarism detection.
- Simple and straightforward to use
- Can scan website content using URL
- Sentence-by-sentence analysis
- AI text rewriting is not 100% undetectable
- Inconsistent accuracy
Moving on to GPTZero, one of the best free ChatGPT detectors to determine the natural writing in any given text. The platform is particularly suitable for educational institutes, students, and individual content creators and can process large amounts of data in a few minutes.
GPTZero can detect whether any section of your text is generated using GPT-4, GPT-3.5, or GPT-3 LLMs. The program has undergone extensive training on large text datasets, including web material and all mainstream language models. As a result, you get a relatively high accuracy when dealing with a combination of human and AI-generated text. While the platform might not be as effective as some of the front runners, thanks to the generous free credits, it’s worth a shot.
- Deep writing analysis highlights readability, perplexity, burstiness, simplicity, and average sentence length.
- Uses color coding to pinpoint the AI, human, and mixed content.
- Keep a log of scan history which can also be downloaded as a CSV file.
- Average accuracy of around 60%.
- Upload PDF, doc, docx, and txt files in bulk and scan for ChatGPT content.
- Built-in plagiarism checker
- Generous free tokens
- Can be used without registration
- Below average accuracy
- Higher false positives
Next up is Sapling, one of the most affordable ChatGPT detector tools out there. It employs a machine learning system similar to what ChatGPT uses, but to determine the likelihood that a given section of text is crafted by AI or not. The results are represented in two ways – in overall originality percentage, and sentence-by-sentence breakdown with color coding.
The program will simply analyze the entire text, filtering clichéd sentences and making highly probable next-word predictions to determine the extent of robotic writing. Although the false positives can be higher than normal, causing inaccurate results, you can use this tool if you need a quick text assessment for a rough estimation.
- With 68% of average accuracy, it’s the most accurate free ChatGPT detector in 2024.
- Perfect for educators, individual SEO professionals, and content writers.
- Can detect AI text created by proofreading tools, large language models, AI writing assistants, and more.
- Provides a Google Chrome extension for quick analysis from any webpage.
- Quick and easy to use
- No registration required
- Generous free accessibility
- May wrongly flag the entire text as Fake
- Expensive premium plans
Copyleaks is another ChatGPT detector that can scrutinize your text to ensure authenticity and originality. The program is designed to assist enterprise-level individuals, such as university professors, SEO firms, or professionals handling large numbers of writers.
In terms of accuracy and overall efficiency, Copyleaks beats the majority of AI detector tools, reaching up to 99.1%. It can effectively screen large amounts of content (Up to 25000 words) generated using GPT-4, GPT-3.5, and GPT-3 and provides you with a precise AI probability score. The model is trained in various human writing patterns and highlights the segments where the pattern is disrupted, allowing for lower false positives and a higher success rate.
- Built-in plagiarism checker and source code detector for complete transparency.
- 0.2% false positives and over 99% accuracy in AI detection.
- Can detect plagiarized and paraphrased AI content.
- Supports direct texts, PDFs, docs, source-code files, URLs, and texts from images.
- Fina similarities between two texts or files using the Copyleaks comparison tool.
- A perfect all-in-one AI detection tool for big enterprises
- High accuracy and low false positives (0.2%)
- Supports over 30 major languages
- Not suitable for individual use
- Occasionally, the results are delayed
AI Detector Pro can screen your text, spot the machine-originated content, and help you refine it for a more human touch. All you have to do is input the text or provide the URL of the page, and within seconds, you will have the results in hand.
The platform utilized a heavily trained neural network running on custom hardware to recognize patterns used by ChatGPT’s language models (GPT-4/3.5/3). These patterns are discerned based on the relative placement of words, phrases, and sentences. Lastly, using color coding, it highlights the sections that exhibit AI involvement, along with an overall AI probability score for the given text.
- It’s an all-around writing assistant that can prove very useful to students, job seekers, individual writers, and SEO professionals.
- With an accuracy of up to 75%, it’s one of the most reliable ChatGPT detectors available.
- Can scan websites, blogs, and web pages to find AI-generated content.
- The free plan allows you to scan 3 reports/month.
- Free Google Docs and Microsoft Word plugins.
- Helps you rewrite the AI content
- Premium plan comes with a bunch of research tools, such as Domain lookup, reverse IP lookup, redirect checker, etc.
- Simple and straightforward to use
- Comparatively expensive premium plans
- No multi-language support
My next recommendation is Crossplag, an effective AI detector that can distinguish between AI-generated and naturally-written content. It’s a one-stop solution for students, academic institutes, bloggers, and content writers who want to make sure whether a given piece of text comes from a human or machine.
What makes Crossplag one of the best ChatGPT detectors is the unbelievably huge amount of training dataset, containing both human-written and LLM-generated texts. Using advanced machine learning algorithms and natural language processing, the model senses the unique patterns to precisely predict the level of AI’s influence in the provided material.
- Achieves higher accuracy, thanks to an extensive training dataset (1.5 billion parameters).
- More suitable for students, educators, and individuals working in the education field.
- Can identify plagiarism and AI-written content in more than 100 languages.
- It can scan hundreds of documents at once to find similar texts among them.
- Lightening-fast AI detection
- Can check up to 3000 words for free
- Seamless collaboration between students and educators
- Doesn’t handle large/complex text well
- No color-coding to highlight robotic texts
8. Winston AI
Winston, one of the most advanced AI content detectors in 2024, regularly updates its algorithms and model for detecting ChatGPT text, making it even more effective in countering the latest AI patterns and writing styles. In our evaluation, the tool was able to identify ChatGPT-written content with a remarkable 84% accuracy – one of the highest among the leading ChatGPT detectors.
What sets Winston AI apart from the competition is the OCR technology, which can extract words from scanned documents, photos, and even hand-written papers. This feature comes in handy for educators evaluating students’ exam papers to ensure there is no AI involved. Additionally, you can access your scan history and generate a detailed report, if necessary.
- Apart from the raw texts, it accepts doc, TIFF, PNG, and JPG files as inputs.
- Simultaneously scans the document for plagiarism
- The AI prediction map can highlight sentences containing possible AI-generated texts.
- Get a unified result in seconds – Human score, Plagiarism, and readability score.
- Free Google Chrome extension allows you to scan web pages without switching the window.
- Sentence-wise assessment
- Detects GPT-4 content with high accuracy
- Easy-to-use interface
- Expensive monthly plans
- Limited capabilities in a free trial
9. Writer AI
Writer AI detector may not be as feature-packed as some other ChatGPT detectors, but it’s extremely quick and easy to use and can be extremely useful for you if you are dealing with small text sizes.
As far as accuracy is concerned, Writer uses the same natural language processing and machine learning techniques as it does for its AI writing assistant. However, this isn’t reflected in the result, as it lacks accuracy, especially when examining texts coming from the GPT-4 model. Also, there is a 1500-character limit, meaning it would require multiple attempts to assess an entire document.
- Can quickly scour concise text excerpts and give you a percentage of human writing.
- Can scan web pages, blogs, articles, and website URLs.
- Perfect solution for website owners looking to analyze short paragraphs.
- Quick and easy text inspection
- Free to use
- No registration required
- Not suitable for professional use
- Low accuracy
10. Undetectable AI
Let’s finish the list with Undetectable AI, one of the most featured ChatGPT detectors in recent times. While it may not leave a lasting impression at first glance, it can effectively judge sentence structures, probable next words, and writing style to establish whether the text is authored by humans or clear-cut AI.
Although you won’t get the sentence-by-sentence evaluation, you can get a quick estimate of how many percent of the content is crafted artificially. Not only that, but the platform also provides AI writing assistance to transform plagiarized content into undetectable human-like.
- It can scan up to 10000 characters at a time.
- Excels in identifying GPT-4 and GPT-3.5 texts from ChatGPT.
- With over 80% success rate, it’s one of the most reliable AI detectors in the market.
- Helps you reconstruct the AI-generated content and humanize it completely.
- Can help you rewrite the AI-generated text
- Straightforward and responsive interface
- Can detect GPT-4 and GPT-3.5 with high accuracy
- Outdated website design
- Slightly expensive plans
1. Can I trust AI detection tools?
While some AI detectors offer extraordinary accuracy, these tools are not 100% reliable and should not be used as a standalone proof.
2. Which is the best ChatGPT detector tool for free?
In our evaluation, we found GPTZero to be the most effective free ChatGPT detector tool.
3. What happened to the ChatGPT detector OpenAI?
Due to poor response and faulty results, OpenAI has permanently shut down its AI text classifier tool.
4. What are the most accurate ChatGPT detector tools for bloggers?
In terms of precision, Originality AI and Undetectable AI are the best ChatGPR detectors for bloggers, content writers, and SEO professionals.
I am sure, by now, you know which of these ChatGPT detector tools can do the job for you. It’s clear that some are better than others in terms of functionality, accuracy, and affordability, none of these tools guarantee a 100% success rate. Unfortunately, we are yet to fully counter the AI-generated content, given that many detector tools are trained using similar datasets as ChatGPT.
Hi! I’m Mark Davis, a college student deeply interested in AI. I love blogging about the latest in AI, making it engaging and understandable. When not writing, I’m either traveling, lost in a novel, or playing rugby with friends. These hobbies not only refresh me but also inspire my AI adventures!